HELLO ARKANSAS NICA!!!
We finished our main coach training season June 5&6 with the Leader’s Summit at Thaden School in Bentonville. We had a weekend full of information, fun, training, and riding for new and experienced coaches alike. One of the highlights was a panel discussion with advocates from across the cycling community to talk about what volunteerism means to their organizations and how NICA teams can work together with them.
Don’t worry! We still have coaching classes coming for coaches that haven’t had a chance to get to them yet – On-the-Bike Skills 101 and First Aid are already on the calendar, and On-the-Bike Skills 201 will be coming later in the summer.
Ride safe and happy,
Kyla, Terry, and the Arkansas NICA Team.
Rake what you Ride! Every Friday in June, Arkansas NICA, NWA Trailblazers, and FAST are teaming up to bring opportunities for student athletes, and families to give back to the trails. If you don’t live in NW Arkansas, get out on your local trails and rake there.
Meet at Coler Grove Parking Lot, 2500 NW Grove Lane, Bentonville
Brain Freeze Snow cones afterward.
Meet at 2909 NE J Street, Bentonville
Optional, non-NICA ride of Keystone trails before they open after we rake them. Cookout and Kona Ice to follow!
Season Events Overview
We have a great season planned for the league, with some new concept events. NICA events are not the type of event you just show up for your own race and then leave – the great part about them is hanging with and cheering for your friends, experiencing the community and the venue together. The races are on Sundays with a preride of the course on Saturday afternoon after the course is set. Many choose to camp close by to extend their experience.
- August 7-8 – AR-MO Adventure at the High Ground Mountain Bike Preserve. This non-competition event will have us having fun on and off the bikes all day. Camping will be allowed on site.
- August 28-29 – Prelude Time Trial at Sagar Creek Trails at John Brown University in Siloam Springs. Time trial was a brand new format for our league last year. Athletes start one at a time and will do one lap on the trails. Results from this race will stage our first race of the season.
- September 11-12 – Race 1 at Spring Hill Park in Barling. We are back at a familiar venue for our first race. The course has spectating all along the course, which can make for an exciting race.
- September 25-26 – Race 2 at Clysta Willett Park in Mountain Home. A brand new venue for us, this course was built by and for the NICA team in Mountain Home! We are excited to bring our whole league to this community.
- October 9-10 – Race 3 at Camp War Eagle east of Rogers. This is a private camp but they are allowing us to come on the property just for the race! We will also have a trail cleanup and preride day before our race.
- October 30-31 – Race 4 at Centennial Park in Fayetteville. These world class trails were home of the Oz Trails Pro Cup this spring and the World Championship Cyclocross race in January 2022.
- Registration for the league is $85.
- The two August events are $25 each.
- You can buy a four-race package for the Race Series before August 1 for $110. After that the races will be $40 individually.
- As always, fill out the financial aid form if cost is an issue for your family.
GRIT Rides This Weekend!
We have two opportunities for GRIT rides this weekend!
1. NWA GRiT Ride – FRIDAY. Meet at 8th Street Market by the big chair (SE corner) to ride the trails with pro riders Annike Beerten and Xylena Hoppen! We’ll share some snacks and Q&A time with the pros after we ride.
2. Central Ark GRiT Ride – GRiT Girls ride at the Monument Trail at Pinnacle Mountain State Park in Little Rock Saturday at 9 am. Snacks and drinks afterward. Girls in NWA are welcome to this ride too! The proceeds of this race go to our Conway Bearcats NICA team
New Team Try-it-Out Events
We have new teams forming across the state! Do you know someone who would love to ride with NICA that lives in one of these towns? Tell them to come Try It Out!
Clarksville – June 26
North Little Rock – Date TBD
Dequeen – July 10
Arkansas NICA Season Events
August 7-8 – AR-MO Adventure
August 28-29 – Time Trial Season Prelude
September 11-12 – Race 1 – Spring Hill, Barling
September 25-26 – Race 2 – Clysta Willett Park, Mountain Home
October 9-10 – Race 3 – Camp War Eagle, Rogers
October 30-31 – Race 4 – Centennial Park, Fayetteville
Upcoming Coaching Classes
June 26 – NICA On-the-Bike Skills 101 in Clarksville
July 10 – NICA On-the-Bike Skills 101 in Pea Ridge
July 11 – NICA Approved 8 Hour First Aid in Little Rock
August 15 – NICA Approved 8 Hour First Aid in Springdale
Sign up for coach education on our Eventbrite Page!