Through the generosity of individual donors and some really great sponsors, the League has been able to purchase a small fleet of bikes (Scott Aspect 920 and Pivot Mach 4) to be used by high school student-athletes facing economic circumstances that prevents them from owning their own bikes.
Program overview and guidelines:
- The bikes are strictly intended to be used by high school student-athletes with financial challenges.
- Bikes will be distributed to team directors on a needs-based first come first served basis.
- The team directors are responsible for the bikes. Directors check the bikes out and agree to return the bikes in clean working condition at the end of the season.
- Directors must take the bikes to and from practices and races. The bikes NEVER go home with the student-athletes. This prevents the bikes from disappearing (bikes have been lost, stolen and even sold in other Leagues). In addition, the student-athletes and their parents should feel the difference, to appreciate the bike and the responsibility, and to motive them to attain their own bike, all of which may be overlooked if the bikes were to go home with the kids.
- All teams are encouraged to adopt a minimum level of academic performance into their team constitutions. At the least, student-athletes must meet the “no pass, no play” threshold as established by the State Board of Education in order to qualify for and retain use of League-owned loaner bikes. Team directors are responsible for ensuring their student-athletess comply with the standard.
- Due to the limited number of loaner bikes, we would like to ensure that the riders who receive a bike commit to participation in ALL five (5) races of the 2014 season.
How to apply for a loaner bike:
- Email the following information to League Director Mike Perry:
- Team name
- Team director
- Director’s email and phone
- Student-athlete’s age and grade
- Bike size requested – small, medium, large and extra large
- Note: If applying for more than one bike, please rank order your request. The League has a limited number of bikes and as such it may not be possible to fulfill all requests.